March 31, 2009
V. Rev. Fr. Simeon OdabashianV. Rev. Fr. Simeon Odabashian, a 1988 alumnus of St. Nersess Armenian Seminary, pastor of Sts. Sahag and Mesrob Armenian Church (Providence, RI) and a member of the brotherhood of Holy Etchmiadzin, departed recently for Armenia, where he will serve for one year in the Holy See at the invitation of His Holiness Catholicos Karekin II.
V. Rev. Fr. Simeon Odabashian
Precedent for Fr. Simeon's year of ministry abroad was given by another St. Nersess graduate, V. Rev. Fr. Aren Jebejian, pastor of St. Gregory the Illuminator Armenian Church (Chicago, IL), who spent last year in Armenia.
Fr. Simeon has been assigned to the Information Center of the Holy See, where he writes articles on various programs of the Mother See and on challenges facing the Church of Armenia. These articles will be appearing in Armenian English papers in the US and elsewhere.
Apeghas, Vartabeds, and a Srpazan from St. Nersess
In all, St. Nersess has produced six celibate priests who are all members of the monastic brotherhood of Holy Etchmiadzin:
- His Eminence Abp. Avak Assadourian (Primate of the Armenian Diocese of Iraq)
- V. Rev. Fr. Vahan Hovhanessian (Former Dean and Pastor of Holy Martyrs' Armenian Church, Bayside, NY)
- V. Rev. Fr. Nareg Berberian (Pastor, St. David Armenian Church)
- V. Rev. Fr. Simeon Odabashian (Pastor, Sts. Sahag and Mesrob Armenian Church, Providence, RI)
- V. Rev. Fr. Daniel Findikyan (St. Nersess Dean)
- V. Rev. Fr. Aren Jebejian (Pastor, St. Gregory the Illuminator Armenian Church, Chicago, IL)
Fr. Simeon's Fascinating Blog
For further details of Fr. Simeon's Armenian ministry, as well as samples of his outstanding coverage of church life in Armenia today, see Fr. Simeon's fascinating blog.